GIS technology is widely used by government authorities, large organizations, business companies etc. as it gives detailed information about any location.
It basically captures, analyzes the information and stores the data based on the geographical locations. The resultant presentation is a digital map.
With the advent of computer, GIS mapping technology was invented in 1960. GIS mapping can combine all available data about a given area and deliver it in new and dynamic ways.
There has been a significant growth in the use of GIS maps due to the development of open source applications and it has also become economical for anyone to run GIS.
Benefits of GIS Maps :-
• Due to the rapid evolution of consumer electronics enabled with GPS systems, GIS mapping helps tourists to locate their exact location on the geographical map. It can also help them find the nearest gas station.
• Geographic Information System is an essential tool for anyone who wants to create geographical maps with the help of internet. A popular example of such application is Google Maps which is available worldwide.
• The power offered by these tools is perhaps most useful in the world of science. The fields of science gather data about our world in very different ways, but GIS offers unique opportunities to combine all this in one.
• GIS has great importance in the field of education as well.A teacher can use GIS to display digital maps on a projector during their teaching session, so that students can easily understand the syllabus and study in detail about the geographical locations.
GeoReferencing is the method of assigning the real-world coordinates to each pixel of the raster. Usually, these coordinates are obtained by doing proper field surveys and collecting coordinates with a GPS device for few easily identifiable features in the image or the map.
It is basically a means to associate something with locations in the physical space or the process of associating a physical map or raster image of a map with spatial locations.
The importance of Georeferencing lies in its ability to turn non-spatial imagery into spatial raster data for use in a variety of circumstances. Spatialized air photos can be used for GIS land cover analysis.
Following Are Some of the Uses of Georeferencing:-
• It makes the different imagery required for mapping. It explains how other data, such as the above GPS points, relate to the imagery.
• Necessary information may be contained in data or images produced at a different point in time. It can be used to compare this data with that currently available.
• Different maps may use different projection systems. The tools of Georeferencing contain methods to combine and overlay these maps with minimum distortion.
• Data obtained from surveying may be given a point of reference from topographic maps by the application of GeoReferencing.
• It may be required to establish the significant relationship between social survey results which have been coded with postal codes or street addresses.
Also, for other geographic areas such as census zones or areas such as public administration or service planning.
GIS Services is a technology specifically designed to capture, analyze, manage and present all types of spatial and geographical data.These services have aided national security and law enforcement as well. Several companies are reaping big benefits due to these GIS services. They rely on the data rooted in computer mapping and satellite imageries to leverage work efficiency, take strategic decisions and select a better consumer group and increase the efficiency of the business.
These services basically aids essential business functions such as marketing, logistics and strategic decision making. The company offering such services provides valuable support in defining business requirements.Also, industry policies and standards, database design and implementation, application development.
Services Providing Area
The GIS services uses technology to trace location.This is very useful in marketing and sales, logistics and transportation, human resource and other fields. It is well integrated with targeted marketing and market analysis, routing and logistics.
GIS is now a very important tool that helps the education department to send across the answers from local to global implications.
This technology helps biologists, ecologists, environmental regulators, astronomers, and miners etc to make difficult decisions regarding the handling of the earth’s natural resources.
Due to the improved decision making processes, as a result of GIS, service delivery and citizen management have become easier. As most of the data in the government is location-based.Thus, smoother operations can be expected.
GIS technology also provides good assistance in mapping and charting in Aeronautic and Maritime fields. It immediately starts producing geospatial data and provides high quality products with tools in making and maintaining the results.It also tracks the status and progress of jobs through the complete cycle.
Geographic information Systems came as a boon for many industries allowing them to collect, manage and analyze data in a more efficient and quick manner. GIS is not a single system instead it refers to a number of technologies, processes and data collection methods. From engineers to transport and logistics, planning, management and businesses all can use GIS systems for various needs.
Like anything related to the world of information technology, GIS too is a system that is evolving and upgrading on a regular basis. For industries using this service it is important to know what new is coming up and how can they benefit from it. To help in this here are a few major trends or updates to look forward to this year-
Trends Updates Of Geographic Information System
- User interface may improve especially when it comes to accessibility on smart phones. It is predicted that more efficient and task driven may soon come up
- Cloud computing may be the biggest update and addition in the GIS spectrum. There are many great options that cloud can provide including security and storage capabilities.
- The GIS industry trends for open source software, open data and standards is bound to continue this year
- Drones regulations have come up in many places who know what changes we see this year, while there may be some ease given for GIS needs
Looking ahead there is a lot more that can come up in this world of GIS and before any business starts make use of this technology there are a number of things it needs to consider and be ready for.
A GIS is a computer system that is specially designed to carry, reserve, manage, interpret, distribute, and display a variety of spatial and geographical data. These days, these GIS applications have become a necessity in various types of organization.
Check out some important GIS application and its uses:
GIS in Mapping
Mapping is a central function of Geographic Information System, it makes easy for a person to interpret the data into visual interpretation.
There are different people of varies professions that use the map to communicate. The best example of GIS mapping solutions is Google map, Bing map, Yahoo map.
Telecom and Network services
GIS application can be a great planning and decision making tool for telecom industries. It helps wireless telecommunication companies to incorporate geographic data into their network design so that they can easily plan, optimize, maintain, and check other activities.
Accident Analysis and Hot Spot Analysis
GIS has a great role to play even in minimizing accident hazard on roads. Yes, the current road network helps in optimizing which measures the road safety and check on where it needs to be improved. This all can only be achieved if you have proper traffic systems, thus, this GIS helps in rerouting the design.
GIS application also helps in analysing the urban population and also checks from where the growth is expanding. Therefore, it finds suitable sites for further urban development. In identifying it checks on several factors such as land accessibility, land’s depth, and land should have a good supply of water.